Wednesday, July 11, 2012



One of my favorite fringe benefits of owning a bookstore is spending time with authors.  We had a fabulous visit with author/illustrator Nancy Carlson this morning.  Nancy is the first "real" author I ever heard speak, in about 1988 when I was teaching in Lincoln.  Nancy was in Seward on that trip to Nebraska, too.  I still have an autographed copy of I Like Me!" from that visit, and hearing her read it again today was a treat.  I read it so many times to my classes and my own kids that I could have almost recited it with her.

I had the honor of having lunch with Nancy, too.  She told me about her travels over the years, including a trip to Saudi Arabia to talk about her books.  What an experience!  Hopefully, now she can fondly tell others about her stay at the Liberty House Bed & Breakfast here in Seward.  It's not as exotic as Saudi Arabia, but still a change from her home in Minneapolis.

We're glad that the group from St. John's CDC was able to join us for this fun storytime and drawing lesson with Nancy.  Thanks to everyone else who attended, too.  If you weren't able to make it this morning, stop by the store to see the picture of Harriet that Nancy drew for us.  Harriet is the golden retriever hero of Nancy's books.  Anyone who likes goldens has to be a good person.

I've posted more photos from this morning's storytime on our facebook page, and we do have a few signed books remaining.  

Thanks, Nancy Carlson for a fun morning, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week in Nebraska.

No comments: