Friday, September 27, 2013

Ted Kooser Poetry Reading

I had the opportunity to attend Ted Kooser's poetry reading Wednesday, when he introduced those of us in the audience to new poetry, which will be included in his forthcoming book.  It's been awhile since Ted's last book of poetry, so it's exciting that he has a new one coming in fall of 2014.  I love listening to him read his poetry aloud.  I'm not a huge reader of poetry, but when he reads it, I can just enjoy the images and his calm, down to earth tone--both the tone of his voice and the tone of his poetry.

Most of the poems he read us were about the ordinary, everyday people he's known for writing about--a couple of old men waiting for their car to be repaired, his wife learning Spanish, a possum (one of my favorites).  For a taste of that poetry, take a listen to the video below.  I don't remember the poem's title, but it's the one about the men at Midwest Auto.





No comments: